I was watching Andrew’s ‘Bizarre Foods’, he was having an oxtail stew dish in Spain. He really enjoyed that dish. I never had oxtail before, nor Alan. So I decided to try it out.
Bought a package of oxtail (about 3lbs) from Sam’s.. quite expensive for tails (I didn’t know any of my American; Asian or Polish friends eat oxtail, so who is eating them?).. nearly 4 dollars/lb.
Looked up recipes online.. each of them seems has lots of steps. As always… I made it a simpler way… result was wonderful. I made this dish several times later on for dinner parties, everyone loved it (they all never had oxtail dishes before).
my way of making this dish:
1. in a deep large pot, brown the oxtail all sides really well (took me 10-15 minutes), remove and set them aside
2. in the same pot, sauté 1 chopped onion, 2-4 cloves of minced garlic, then 1 cup of chopped carrots
3. add in browned oxtail, 1 cup red wine, 1/4 cup tomato paste, 2 cups crushed tomatoes with juice, Water, a handful chopped celery, 2 bay leaves, eyeball of fresh thyme, salt&pepper to taste
4. during the cooking process.. taste the sauce to adjust seasonings or vegetables.
5. bring to a simmer and simmer over low heat for 3-4 hours or till the meat is easily pull off from the bones.
6. before serving, add some chopped fresh Cilantro(optional), or garnish with fresh sprigs of thyme.
Leftover can be frozen and reheated again.
This dish best to serve with rice, the rice soaked with the rich thick sauce, and melt in mouth meat … oh my .. mouth watering even just talking about it..