Alan bought a cook book several years ago, it’s an English language Chinese cook book, called “China The Beautiful”. It presents lots of delicate and well-known Chinese dishes.
I often look at those beautiful pictures in this book, but never tried to make any dishes till today. Cooking a good dish is like taking an exam… you gotta to physically and mentally ready for the challenge .
So, I was ready, today.
It was one of the best traditional Chinese dishes I have made so far.
P.S… I adjusted amount of the soy sauce and vinegar in this dish to fit for Alan and I’s preference of stronger taste. I also used other substitutes for a few ingredients I didn’t have in hand.
How did I make this dish?
1. 1.5 lbs of spare ribs (bought from Chinese market), rinse, pat dry.
2. salt & pepper, marinated for 1.5 hours
3. take a large bowl, pour 1 cup of corn starch,
4. add in 1. mix evenly…
5. heat oil to about 350-370 F
6. deep fry ribs, 4-6 minutes, drain on papper towl
7. in a deep pot, pour in 1.5 cup – 2 cups of non salt chicken stock, 1 tbs wine vinegar (western style), 3-4 tbs Chinese vinegar (zhenjiang xiangcu), 3-4 tbs soy sauce, 3 tbs ketchup, 1-2 tbs oyster sauce (hao you), 1/2 tbs tomato paste, 2 tbs sugar.. bring to boil
8. add in ribs, stir, cover.. cook for 7-10 minutes, turn to medium heat, taste.. adjust seasonings.. add in a handful of finely chopped scallions. (I added pre stir fried sweet bell pepper at this step, optional)